ME 2022 Commencement and Diploma Ceremony
Stanford Mechanical Engineering Diploma Ceremony for the Classes of '20, '21, & '22
The Stanford ME Department is thrilled to welcome the classes of ’20, ’21, & ’22 to participate in our in-person Diploma Ceremony. We’re excited to finally get to celebrate with you as you walk the stage in front of family and friends.
When: Sunday, June 12, 2022, from 12:30 to 4:00 pm
Where: Maples Pavilion, 655 Campus Drive, Stanford, CA 94305.
Who: We are inviting the classes of ’20, ’21, and ’22 to participate. Because of the larger-than-normal number of attendees, graduates will be required to pre-register by May 10, 2022. See below for a link to the student registration form.
Only students who will be conferring a degree in autumn, winter, spring, or summer of 2021-2022 may participate in the ME Diploma Ceremony as a member of the class of 2022. If you will be graduating in a future quarter (e.g. Autumn 2022, Winter 2023), you will need to participate in next year’s graduation events.
Graduate: student who has graduated and conferred a degree in any quarter of 2019-20, 2020-21, or the autumn/winter quarters of 2021-22. Students who will be graduating and conferring their degree in the spring quarter of 2021-22.
Walkthrough: students who will be conferring their degree in the summer quarter of 2022 will need to register as a Walkthrough participant in the ME Diploma Ceremony. Due to venue size, we will not be approving walkthrough petitions for any quarter beyond summer quarter of 2022. There will be no exceptions.
Please bookmark this page and refer to it frequently as more information and changes will be updated here.
- We regret that due to the number of graduates and the capacity limit of Maples Pavilion, we must limit tickets: each graduate will receive 6 tickets to give to their guests.
- Graduates are willing to share tickets that they don’t need with their fellow grads. If you need extra tickets, please reach out to your fellow grads. We do not believe that we will receive extra tickets to distribute.
- More details will follow shortly.
Graduates: Important things to know and do
Register to attend the ceremony by completing this ME Commencement RSVP Form by May 10, 2022.
If you registered using the link in an earlier email, there is no need to register again.
- Be on the lookout for an email with details about how to get tickets for your family and friends that will follow shortly.
- Bookmark this page and check it regularly for updates and changes.
For Family and Friends
- We regret that due to the large number of graduates and the capacity restrictions of Maples Pavilion, we must limit the number of guests for each graduate to 6 people.
- Soon we will communicate with each grad about how tickets will be distributed. We will also update that information here.
- Make your lodging reservations soon. This will be a very busy weekend and lodging will fill quickly. Here are 2 lists of some local lodging options.
- For those not attending the ceremony in person, we are looking into the possibility of live-streaming the event. More details will follow closer to the event.
Health and Safety
This section will be updated as guidelines change. Please check back before arriving on campus.
We will operate under the federal, state, local and Stanford University’s guidelines in place on the day of the event. This may mean that things will change as we get closer to the date.
Important note: Based on the expected size of our event, this event currently (3/23/22) falls under California’s mega-event restrictions. If the mega-event guidelines remain as they are, all attendees will be required to provide proof of vaccination or proof of a negative Covid 19 test. Plan ahead, make sure to bring your proof of vaccination with you.
If you need accommodation for accessibility issues, please email Mechanical@stanford.edu.
For information about the main in-person Stanford University Commencement Celebration please go to Stanford's Commencement webpage.
Q: Why are you restricting the number of guests that can attend?
A: Maples Pavilion is an indoor space and the number of graduates we expect to attend means that we have to limit the number of guests that can attend. Each graduate will be able to get 6 tickets. Each guest will count toward the 6-ticket maximum, regardless of age.
Q: If I’m not able to attend the celebration in person, will I still be able to watch my graduate walk the stage?
A: We are looking into live-streaming the event. Details on this will be shared closer to Commencement weekend.
Q: What if I have been approved by Stanford University to participate as a walkthrough in Commencement, but am graduating after summer quarter of 2022?
A: Students who are approved as a walkthrough for the University Commencement may participate in the Stanford Stadium Commencement Ceremony, but will not be approved for the ME Diploma Ceremony unless they graduate/confer their degree by summer quarter of 2022.
Q: What if I need to bring more than 6 guests? Can I get extra tickets?
A: In the interest of fairness to all our grads, we won’t be able to give anyone extra tickets. We suggest that you reach out to your friends and fellow grads to see if any of them have tickets they will not need and can give you.
If you have questions that aren’t addressed on this page, please email Mechanical@stanford.edu.