ME 2023 Commencement and Diploma Ceremony
Stanford Mechanical Engineering Diploma Ceremony for the Class of 2023
The Stanford ME Department is thrilled to welcome the class of 2023 to participate in our Diploma Ceremony on Sunday, June 18, 2023. We look forward to celebrating our graduates as they walk the stage in front of family and friends.
- When: Sunday, June 18, 2023, from 12:30 to 3:30 pm, reception to follow
- Where: Maples Pavilion, 655 Campus Drive, Stanford, CA 94305. Reception will be held at Chuck Taylor Grove, adjacent to the Avery Aquatic Center and a short walk from the ceremony.
- Who: Graduates of the class of 2023 (BS, MS, ENGR, PhD)
Only students who confer a degree in autumn, winter, spring, or summer of 2022-2023 may participate in the ME Diploma Ceremony as a member of the class of 2023. If you graduated in a previous quarter (summer 2022) or will be graduating in a future quarter, please see details about submitting a Walkthrough petition.
- Graduate: student who has graduated and conferred a degree in any quarter of 2022-2023.
- Walkthrough: students who have conferred their degree in a previous quarter, or will be conferring their degree in the summer quarter of 2023 will need to register as a Walkthrough participant in the ME Diploma Ceremony. See details below.
Mechanical Engineering Walkthrough Form 2023: https://forms.gle/qHEs3WQpJcEF84YM7
This is a form for people who are not receiving a degree this spring, but want to participate in the ME Diploma Ceremony in June. This is not an application to graduate.
- ME-BS students must have completed at least 160 undergraduate units by the end of spring quarter.
- ME-MS students must have completed at least 36 graduate units by the end of spring quarter.
- ME-PhD students must have a scheduled Oral Exam for spring or summer quarters.
You can check how many units you've completed by checking your transcript. Be sure to order your cap and gown from the Stanford Bookstore. Caps and gowns must be worn to participate in all Commencement ceremonies. We'll send an email in early May to confirm whether your Walkthrough Petition has been approved by ME Student Services.
This form is only for the ME Diploma Ceremony that will take place on Sunday, June 18, 2023. This form is not for the main university ceremony that takes place at the football stadium. If you have any question about the main university ceremony at the football stadium, please read the information at commencement.stanford.edu.
We will be hosting boxed lunches for students and guests between 11:15am - 12:00pm.
- Tickets will not be required for the ME Diploma Ceremony. Graduates are welcome to invite family and friends to celebrate, with no restrictions on the number of guests.
Graduates: Important things to know and do
- Apply to graduate in Axess.
- Indicate whether you will be participating in Commencement and Diploma Ceremonies (this is part of the application to graduate, in Axess).
- Be on the lookout for emails from ME Student Services with details about Commencement Info Sessions (attendance is mandatory), and other ceremony logistics.
- Be sure to submit a final, completed program sheet (BS, MS) which will be used to clear you for graduation.
For Family and Friends
- Due to staff bandwidth, the mechanical engineering department will be communicating details about our ceremony with students/graduates only, not with family members. Please continue to check this web page, or speak with your graduate in order to obtain information about our ceremony.
- Make your lodging reservations soon. This will be a very busy weekend and lodging will fill quickly. Here are 2 lists of some local lodging options.
Health and Safety Update
- Clear Bag Policy: Maples Pavilion follows the Public Safety Clear Bag Policy. See the link for details.
- Maples will have a limited bag check station in front of the building, but we cannot guarantee that there will be space available for your bag. Also, please be aware that any checked bag may be subject to inspection when checking it in.
- All attendees are subject to security screening.
- We follow all federal, state, and local guidelines regarding public health and safety, so please check back here before you arrive.
(all times are approximate)
12:00-12:30pm: Grad Check-In/Line-Up
12:30pm: Ceremony begins
12:45pm: Opening Remarks (~10 minutes)
12:55pm: Graduate Awards (~10 minutes)
1:05pm: Awarding of Doctoral Degrees and Hooding Ceremony (~45 minutes)
1:50pm: Awarding of Master's Degrees (~25 minutes)
2:15pm: Undergraduate Awards (~20 minutes)
2:35pm: Awarding of Bachelor's Degrees (~45 minutes)
3:20pm: Closing Remarks
There will be an accessibility Dropoff tent on Campus Drive right in front of Maples Pavilion. You may drop off/pick up guests needing assistance there.
If you need accommodation for accessibility issues, please email Commencement@stanford.edu.
For information about the main in-person Stanford University Commencement Celebration please go to Stanford's Commencement webpage.