Declaring Mechanical Engineering
Stanford encourages undergraduate students to spend their first two years exploring the university's tremendous wealth of courses and programs.
This allows Stanford students to explore a wide range of possible major fields before committing to a specific one. Once convinced that Mechanical Engineering is the appropriate field, current students may declare the major during sophomore or junior year. The major is open to all Stanford undergraduate students in good academic standing.
Stanford freshmen and sophomores who want to pursue mechanical engineering should follow the course plan prescribed in Section 1 of the SoE Undergraduate Handbook. Taking the appropriate math and sciences courses in the early years will be a great help throughout the undergraduate program.
Stanford undergraduates who wish to declare Mechanical Engineering as their major should call (650) 725-7695 or stop by the Student Services Office in Building 530, Room 125.
Interested students may also wish to consult with an undergraduate advisor about declaring this major.
Instructions for declaring Mechanical Engineering (BSME), Product Design (BSPD) and Biomechanical Engineering (BSBME)
- Obtain your Stanford transcript (unofficial is fine)
- Complete the Program Sheet and have it signed by your advisor. Also have your advisor sign the appropriate cover sheet: BS-ME, BS-ENGR-BME or BS-ENGR-PD. Please note: You must login to this website wth your SUnet to access the cover sheets.
- If you are planning on applying AP or IB credit to your program, review School of Enigneering AP credit page and obtain approval.
- Once you have these documents, bring them to the Mechanical Engineering Student Services Office.
- Declare your major on Axess.